The CAREERS: The Next Generation Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades - MENTOR NOMINATION
Nominations for 2017 are now open. Awards Recipients to be announced May 2017
If you have witnessed or worked with an outstanding mentor you feel that should be recognized for their contributions to the skilled trades, please review and complete the nomination.
Please note: If you would like to nominate a student apprentice in addition to a mentor, you must complete the “Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades – Student Nomination”. Nominating both a mentor and an apprentice is not necessary.
Mentor in Skilled Trades Selection Criteria
- Journey certified in a provincially recognized skilled trade, currently employed in a business employing trades people, and are currently/or have mentored in the past school year a CAREERS RAP student.
- Knowledgeable & enthusiastic about their role as a mentor
- Key attributes of an outstanding mentor include:
- Champion– acting as an ally to share stories of success about RAP
- Guide and teacher– a professional role model who is approachable and able to communicate knowledge and realistic expectations in the development of employability skills.
- Supervisor– genuinely interested in the student and is involved in their activities while creating confidence and trust moving towards gradual independence and self-motivation.
- Assessor– provides regular feedback in the development of skill standards and achieving desired learning outcomes.
- Safety Advisor– is a role model for safe work practices, respects and complies with safety guidelines, conducts safety meetings, and has achieved appropriate safety training credentials.
- Received comments that illustrate how the attributes of the mentor positively impact and/or benefit the organization and/or the RAP student.
- Nominator must obtain the consent of the nominee prior to submission.
To submit an eligible nomination, you must provide all of the following information.
- Complete the nomination and consent form
- Provide a letter of support written by yourself (the nominator) – Commentary
- Provide one (1) additional letter of support by another individual (Student/Parent, School Administrator, Employer, etc.)
A three-person external selection committee will be appointed by CAREERS to review applications and recommend two (2) recipients - one Northern Alberta (including Red Deer) and one from Southern Alberta.
Questions or Comments
CAREERS: The Next Generation Head Office
#204, 10470 – 176 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5S 1L3 Phone: 780-426-3414
Toll free: 1-888-757-7172 www.nextgen.org